• August is a big birthday month in our family. My dad, my niece, a few cousins, my aunt, and my uncle all celebrated birthdays last month. The blog also became a year older! August is also special for another reason: it’s our adoptionversary.
• The end of summer and beginning of fall is my absolute favorite. August saw a local summer harvest festival AND a wing cook-off. This weekend will be the fall harvest festival (along with my birthday) and I can’t wait!
• If your office is anything like mine, you’ll completely understand my instagram photo of the absurd amount of sweaters I keep in my car!
• Matt took a trip back down to Baltimore and it was just me and the pups for a few days. I got an awful lot of reading done, though August turned out to be a month of duds ugh.
• Last month I read 12 books, 6 on audio, 6 print/e-books. Sadly, apart from Lauren Blakely’s fantastic The Real Deal, all of the ARCs I read were absolute duds and disappointments. The highlight of the month was another Roald Dahl collection, this time several audiobooks where he did the narration! I also revisited Wuthering Heights, a classic I last read 12 years ago, and was pleasantly surprised by how much I still enjoyed it!
JULY’S MINI REVIEW ROUND-UP featured the good, the meh, and a Middle Grade surprise. A start to a new historical romance series was among my favorite reads of the month, along with two non-fiction library grabs (one, a collection of letters Roald Dahl wrote to his mother over his lifetime and two, a biography of a French courtesan who rose through the ranks in society to become one of the wealthiest women of her time). I also quickly discussed a much buzzed-about thriller…that turned out to be just okay.