The Book Blogger Love-A-Thon is a two-day event hosted by Alexa!
- What’s your name?
- Where in the world are you blogging from?
Pittsburgh, PA. We have a ton of Indie bookshops here and for a while I had a short-lived feature called Books in the Burgh where I highlighted some of them (this was also the perfect excuse to buy more books!) Should I start it back up again??
- How did you get into blogging in the first place?
Way, way back in the late ’90s there were Harry Potter message boards I used to visit. At the time LiveJournal was taking off and a lot of my friends were making the move. It was only natural to see what all the fuss was about. In additional to a personal blog, I ran a pretty successful music community there where I featured and reviewed all sorts of Asian musicians. I kept that up for a few years and from there I would up reviewing television shows for an online site. When the site became too large to be run by one guy, a company bought it and that was when I took a breather. In the summer of 2011, The Pretty Good Gatsby was born.
- How did you come up with your blog name?
By partying with Jay? I wanted something bookish but a little off-beat and quirky.
- What genre do you read and review the most on your blog?
Historical fiction is my jam.
- What other types of posts do you do on your blog, apart from reviews?
I haven’t updated it recently, but I have a feature called History 101 where I combine my love of history with a passion for books.
I also have a feature I love called Get Your Fix where I round up a bunch on novels (both reviewed on the blog and books I haven’t yet read) that all deal with a certain topic. So far I’ve discussed books focusing on art, the Civil War, and the Romanovs.
Another book-related feature is GoodReads Recommends where I take a look at some of the books GR recs – there have been some winners so far!
- Best blogging experience so far?
Oh, you know, THAT TIME I WAS QUOTED IN A BOOK!!!
- Favorite thing about the blogging community?
Totally a cop-out answer, but the bloggers. Not only have I met people I otherwise would never have gotten to know, but I’ve also discovered new books I wouldn’t have dreamed of picking up!
- Name the 5 books you’re most excited for this 2015!
OH LORD. Off the top of my head:
The Dead Lands by Benjamin Percy | April
A post-apocalyptic re-imagining of Lewis & Clark!
Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee | July
YOU’RE A LIAR IF YOU AREN’T EXCITED FOR THIS ONE
- What’s an underrated book or series that you think everyone should read?
The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope. YA Historical Fantasy from the 70s! Tudors, fairy folk, the greatest YA romance I have ever read.
- Which book boy or girl would be your book BFF?
Percy Weasley, though that’s more of a book BF. ♥
- Apart from reading, what are your other hobbies or interests?
My studies focused on the Civil War, but anything Military makes my heart skip a beat. I also love Imperial Russia, crime dramas (UM CAN WE DISCUSS THE FALL?!?), and I’m an amateur beekeeper!
- Apart from book shopping, what else do you like shopping for?
Clothes! The spare bedroom in our house is my closet. I’m also a big fan of cutesy little knickknacks. Anything kitschy.
- At a party, the DJ suddenly changes the song – and it’s your song. What song would be playing?
That’s a toughie – I go through phases. I tend to stick to a folksy, Americana sound, but I rock out to showtunes and Disney soundtracks too!
- Pick out either a book you want turned into a film/TV show, or a film/TVshow you want turned into a book.
Fingers forever crossed that American Gods will one day come out of Production Limbo!